Usernames are unique identifiers that you can choose in an @username format.
Prior to Hakuna’s major update for 2023 (Version 2.0.0), users were randomly assigned a long Hakuna ID. With our new username feature, you can now use this as a marker of your identity. Please note Hakuna IDs will no longer be used once users have set their usernames.
How are usernames used?
- Your username will be shown alongside your nickname in your main profile and your mini profile.
- You can search for a specific user and make sure you find the right one even if their nickname or profile picture overlaps with another user.
- Include your username when you submit a customer support request
- We’ll be expanding features related to usernames and further expressing your personality in the near future — stay put!
How are nicknames different from usernames?
- Nicknames can be changed anytime and do not have to be unique to you. Nicknames can also include various special characters, including emojis.
- Usernames are English identifiers unique to you at Hakuna, regardless of region. Usernames can only be set once, and cannot be changed afterwards.
How to set up your username
- New users:
As of the 2.0 version update, you’ll be prompted to set your username during registration, which will automatically become your nickname. You can always change your nickname from MyPage, but your username cannot be changed.
- Returning users:
If you signed up before the 2.0 version update and already have a Hakuna ID, it’ll still be your unique identifier until you create your new username.
You’ll be prompted to set up your username every time you enter your MyPage. Click “Set up username” to proceed, or if you click “Next time” and enter your MyPage, you can click “Set up username” displayed beneath your nickname. You can always change your nickname from MyPage, but your username cannot be changed.
- Minimum 6 characters, maximum 15 characters (including periods and underscores)
- Characters allowed:
English (lowercase), numbers, periods (.), and underscores
- Characters not allowed:
All other special characters, such as emojis, dashes (-), exclamation points (!), and ampersands (&)
Non-English languages and characters
- Minimum 1 number or letter required (ex. @1______ is allowed)
- Periods cannot be used as the first and last character
Banned or reserved words
- Words like “Hakuna,” “official,” “admin,” and “agent” that signify administrative accounts are only available for Hakuna’s official accounts.
- Inappropriate words, names of other companies, or pretending to be someone else is prohibited for a clean and safe culture at Hakuna.